Student-led Conference April/March 2018 at a SEPnet Institution to be confirmed
Following very successful events in 2015/6 and 2016/7, GRADnet is once again offering PhD students the opportunity to organise and run two-day residential workshops or mini-conferences on a Physics topic of their choosing. Student organisers will be expected to encourage the active participation of their peers in giving talks and / or poster presentations. In addition organisers will be able to invite external speakers to attend should they wish.
We anticipate that three workshops on different topics will be organised in the following areas:
- astrophysics / astronomy
- particle / nuclear physics
- condensed matter / atomic physics
- quantum technology
- theoretical physics
- or any other area of physics with sufficient critical mass across the SEPnet partners to run a successful workshop.
Moreover inter-disciplinary bids on themes merging any of the above physics areas are also welcome.
A budget of up to £4500 will be available to each workshop that can be used to:
- Support the attendance (travel, accommodation and food) of SEPnet students (15-30)
- Invite and support the participation of high profile presenters
- Cover any other reasonable expenses.
The three selected workshops will run in parallel on dates in April/March (to be confirmed) sharing, catering and residential facilities at a SEPnet Institution.
There will be an introductory session targeted at those considering making a bid for a conference via video conference on Tuesday, 23rd May 2017 at 11-12. The purpose of this session will be to:
- Explain details of the scheme in greater depth;
- Offer students the opportunity to ask questions;
- Offer students potentially interested in organising a workshop the opportunity to network and develop their workshop ideas.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to join the introductory session on the 23rd May.
To make a bid: Fill in the attached form with all the relevant details and return to email@example.com by 9 June 2017.