GRADnet is offering a two day course for recent Physics PhD researchers in the SEPnet region.
Who: This course is for 1st and 2nd Year Physics PhD researchers.
When: Tuesday, 1 and 29 November 2016
Where: The Open University, 1-11 Hawley Crescent, Camden, NW1 8NF, Room 1
Register here. Registration deadline 25 October 2016.
What: An interactive two-day course designed to develop the skills necessary for you to start your PhD research off on the right foot. Throughout the two days you will participate in activities and discussions that help you develop plans and strategies which will enable you to succeed now and that will provide you with a solid foundation for the future after your doctorate.
Attendance is required on Day 1 and Day 2. Day 2 is on 29 November 2016 at the OU in Camden and will cover activities with employers.
Day One: Starting Strong
A varied series of interactive sessions that explore;
- What is an effective researcher
- Different research approaches
- Critical thinking and reading
- Understanding expectations and supervisors
- Your path to completion
- Research project planning
- What you need to know
- Your next 100 days!
Day Two: Succeeding Now and in the Future
- Building your resources
- What will this doctorate do for me?
- The academic horizon
- Employer panel: What do employers want from physics doctoral graduates?
- Researcher spotlight: Presenting your research plans