The SEPnet Graduate Network
The SEPnet Graduate Network (GRADnet) brings together the research strengths of nine leading University Physics Departments that make up the SEPnet consortium in the south east of England to create the largest Physics post graduate school in England. GRADnet works closely with employers to offer a coordinated and bespoke skills training programme for its students designed to meet the needs of students, employers and University researcher groups alike.
The rewards of combined investment
Channelling research expertise into one central, combined resource, our Graduate School provides a wide range of postgraduate training opportunities. We combine modules from different universities and offer specialist modules as CPD to relevant industries.
The benefits for teaching and research are clear, from significant investment into video-conferencing facilities for teaching collaboration, to the co-ordination of a range of new Masters and CPD programmes. For students and employers, the Graduate School already offers:
- Summer and Winter Schools for PhD students to develop their professional and technical skills
- The GRADnet Virtual Research Environment
- A two year physics European Masters, compliant with the Bologna Accord
- Theoretical and experimental training and supervision
- One year collaborative vocational physics Masters courses in Radiation Detection & Instrumentation, plus others as opportunities and markets develop
- SEPnet PhD Scholarships
- Student placements at experiment locations, such as CERN and at employers
- An improved PhD experience across the region by incorporating first year Masters level training in European Masters modules
- A programme to create E-learning modules based on peer-learning principles
- Short, focused ‘Research Schools’ run by experts in the field
- Research-led workshops and conferences
The SEPnet Graduate Network offers a regional approach to teaching with video conferencing facilities. The full programme of lectures can be viewed remotely by graduate students from any of the partner locations (VRE login required).
GRADnet runs Graduate Schools for Physics PhD students at employers in the region. This video, produced by our students, gives a flavour of what to expect.
Raising our research profile
As our reputation goes from strength to strength, so does the quality and profile of our research, culminating in a broad, relevant and internationally excellent portfolio. Building links with other key regional players, such as STFC, EPSRC and the Harwell Science & Innovation campus, the Graduate School has been the catalyst behind a number of thriving initiatives.
Join the world’s finest minds
The quality and choice of the Graduate Network acts as a magnet for the very best international students and researchers. Now a credible competitor in the global market, we’re continuing to attract the brightest minds from around the world to the South East of England – and retain that talent beyond graduation.