International Students


No matter what level of study or research, we welcome students from all around the world. However, as our courses are taught in English, you’ll need to be able to prove that you’re fluent in both spoken and written English, for example, by holding a TOEFL certificate or equivalent. For more information, visit

Basic requirements

If you’re not a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss national, then you’ll need to apply for a visa. Your university will be able to help you with this as you apply, so either contact them directly for support or visit the following websites:

Entry qualifications

As well as A-levels, Scottish Highers, and European and International Baccalaureates, our departments will be happy to consider any other equivalent qualifications. Please contact the departments directly for more information about their specific requirements.

Don’t forget that each university and department will also offer plenty of support and advice, including financial help in certain cases. You can find out more throughout the application process.