Entrepreneurship: Investing In Your Research, Your Skills and Your Future
Deadline for registering teams extended to Friday 22nd January 2016
Which SEPnet partner institution has the greatest entrepreneurial spirit?
Our dynamic modern world presents interesting and exciting opportunities for those who want to get involved and add value to the economy and society. GRADnet’s Entrepreneurship programme tailored for Physics PGRs is your opportunity to get involved.
Researchers are perfectly placed to take advantage of these opportunities; whether in academia, running a business or working in a corporate environment. Why? Important findings are used to inform policy, improve society and create exciting new products. Plus high-skills and an enquiring mind are key to building a knowledge-based economy.
In this programme, SEPnet institutions will be invited to form teams of PGR researchers (3-6 per team) who will compete to be the most entrepreneurial physics department in SEPnet. There is a maximum of nine team spaces available, ideally one per institution; however, if an institution, doesn’t put a team forward that space can be used by a another partner for a second team.
- 15th January: Confirm intention of forming a team by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 16th & 17th March: designated member(s) of the team will attend two days of training which will contribute to professional development and build skills to help with the challenge. Areas covered include varied insights into entrepreneurship; what it really means and why it is important, team work and idea generation together with business, enterprise and communication skills.
At the event participants will be given details about the challenge.
Support provided: Teams will then be introduced to local entrepreneurial experts to support the team’s idea development while working in their home institutions. Ongoing entrepreneurship materials giving hints and tips will also be provided.
- End of April: Teams will be required to produce and submit an initial short video outlining their idea by the end of April.
Support provided: From this, teams will receive feedback from a variety of experts about their idea and tips on how to move it forward.
Teams will continue to develop their idea, building on feedback and supported by local experts. Ongoing entrepreneurship materials giving hints and tips will also be provided.
- End of June: Proposals with market research and business case submitted
- 13th July: Presentations to a panel of entrepreneurs and business people
****Prize for winning team: £100 for each member!!!!!****
By the end of the programme you will…
- Build a fresh perspective on the world of work, business and research
- Develop and apply entrepreneurship skills to real challenges
- Understand the importance of entrepreneurship and its contribution to impact and value creation
- Enhance communication, idea generation and team-working experience
- Gain insight into the careers of others