With the start of the new academic year upon us and the GRADnet training programme being launched for the coming year, we must ensure that all PGR students in SEPnet have ensured they have logins for the GRADnet Virtual Research Environment and that these logins are functioning. Your login (also called an OUCU) is of the form AB12345 where AB is normally your two initials.
It is vital that all students are able to login to the VRE and regularly check it for information and enrolment on GRADnet offerings. We have implemented a system for enrolling on GRADnet offerings via the VRE and for most offerings enrolment will only be possible via the VRE. Eventbrite or other registration sites will only be used in exceptional circumstances.
This same system on the VRE allows you to find and search for courses, workshops, residential schools etc that you may be interested in attending or required to attend. It is important that you are able to access it and to ensure you are able to use it. These can be found under the Training tab when logged onto the VRE and the GRADnet Training Catalogue entry on that page.
The VRE is accessible via www.sepnet.ac.uk/vre . It can also be found via the SEPnet website (www.sepnet.ac.uk) under the “SEPnet Graduate Network” menu: SEPnet Graduate Network -> GRADnet’s Virtual Research Environment.
- New Students (or unregistered current students): you will need to register and can do so on www.sepnet.ac.uk/vre At busy times this process may take up to 5 days, if you have not received account details within 5 days please contact your local GRADnet administration contact.
- Herts: Kathy Head
- Kent: Helen West
- The OU: Georgina Vizard
- Portsmouth: Emma Bain
- QMUL: Karen Wilkinson
- RHUL: Carmella Froggatt
- Southampton: Ceris French
- Surrey: Karen Graham
- Sussex: Rebecca Foster
- If you have an existing account but have forgotten the password you can reset your password by calling the helpdesk on 01908 654321 and ask for your “visitor SAMS password” to be reset. You will need to know your username (OUCU) and may be asked to confirm your date of birth. If you are unable to call the helpdesk then you can email email@example.com but please note that it can take longer to reset your password by email. DO NOT use the “password reset” link on the OU sign on screen.
- If you have forgotten your username (OUCU) then please contact the GRADnet administrator at your university. Before doing so please check historical emails and other sources that may include your OUCU.
- Expired access: in some instances it is possible that access has expired (depending on when the account was created and last accessed). If you are using your username and password and unable to log in or not seeing what you expect then you should email firstname.lastname@example.org to investigate. This process will always take longer to investigate than a password reset so if there is any chance that you are using the wrong password then you should take the password reset option first.
- Non-SEPnet accounts: some students have created accounts from the main OU website. If this is the case then you won’t have a username made up of your initials followed by some numbers. Depending on the information that you provide it can take a while to get to investigate these so it would be important to include this in any communication so that you can be instructed to register using the SEPnet VRE registration.
Having validated that your account works and that you can sign in, please ensure that you keep your account information with you so that it does not become necessary to reset the passwords because of infrequent use. Web-browsers often enable the automatic storage of passwords and account details and help make logging in much easier but you may find this gets lost in some circumstances.
As we anticipate that the new cohort of students joining this term will be registering for the VRE when they have been to the GRADnet Roadshows, you may find that it takes longer to reset your accounts if you wait until this period, so we would urge you to act now.